Saturday, September 12, 2009

1st Blog

1. One reason why I chose Springfield College was because it was the only Graduate School that offered entry with out already having a teaching license. The other reason why I chose Springfield College was because it was known to have one of the best (if not the best) physical education programs in the MA area.
2. I believe that an effective physical education teacher/coach is a person who has the enthusiasm to properly motivate the needs of all students and athletes.
3. Some of my real-life experiences as a coach are as followed: I have been coach for both the junior varsity and varsity summer league basketball at Ichabod Crane High School for 3 summers. I also had the opportunity to be an assistant varsity basketball coach at Ichabod Crane High School before entering graduate school. I have also worked at Ichabod Crane summer basketball camp as well. As for physical education teaching, I haven't had much experience due to not having an undergraduate degree in physical education. The only real life experience I have had at teaching is PHED 510 at Springfield College and I absolutely loved it and cant wait to teach more. The last real life experience I have had is working as a camp counselor for a couple of summers.
4. My current research area topic is physical activity in elementary physical education. I'm interested in two aspects, first I want to see how much physical activity is being achieved in some elementary schools, secondly I'm interested in seeing how physical education teachers can increase physical activity levels by cutting down the time spent giving general instructions.
5. My expectations for the current class is to continue gain more know about how to become a better physical education teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tom,
    Good to have you in class. It is amazing we share enthusiasm and passion for basketball, especially coaching. I would conclude SC has the best PE program the whole of United States.
    Welcome to class!

    ReplyDelete