Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cooking tips for the week


This past weekend I went to Rhode Island with my fiancees family. On Saturday night I decided that I would cook a little appetizer before dinner. So I went to one of the local food markets and decided I would grill a piece of white fish. This was actually the first time I had ever cooked white fish but I have seen my parents do it plenty of times so I had a good idea how to do it. The white fish I decided to cook was cod. It came out great and was a great starter to an awesome dinner. Here is how I grilled the cod.

1. Start by searching the fillet of cod for any small tiny bones (you DO NOT want any bones in the fish).

2. Then salt and pepper both sides of the cod.

3. Then take a small fillet/saute or frying pan and coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil.

4. Put the burner on high until olive oil is hot.

5. Then dice about a half of onion along with 3 or 4 cloves of garlic.

6. Add the onions into the hot olive oil (add more salt to soften up the onions).

7. Once the onions have been cooking for a couple of minutes add the diced garlic.

8. Once the onions and garlic have been cooked down and start have started to slightly brown you can add about an inch of butter or about a little less than a half cup of white wine.

9. Lastly take some cherry tomato's cut them in half, salt and pepper them, and throw them into the pan. Cook the cherry tomatoes just until they are starting to soften up.

10. Then take a big piece of aluminum foil and spread butter along the bottom of it. Then place your the raw fillet of cod on top of the aluminum foil.

11. Take the your pan of sauteed onions, garlic, and cherry tomato's, and pour it over top of the raw fillet of cod.

12. Once the cod is covered with the sauteed onions, garlic, and cherry tomato's, cut a couple of slices of lemon (take the seeds out) and place them over top of the fish. Then tightly wrap up or cover the top the cod with the aluminum foil.
13. Once your grill is nice and hot place the cod that is now tightly wrapped up in aluminum foil on the grill and turn down the heat to medium and cook for about 25 to 30 min.

14. Now you don't have too but I always add about an inch of butter in the cod about 3 minutes before I take it off the grill (Now I know what your all thinking butter is so bad...but it makes the cod taste that much better).

15. Lastly take the cod off the grill, unwrap the aluminum foil, take off the lemon peals and sit back and enjoy your grilled cod with a nice glass of wine or beer.

1 comment:

  1. Tom - this is a great recipe - I will definitely try this in the future...#1-15 reminds me of extensions and progressions when teaching a skill - sounds like, as a teacher of fine food, you know what you are doing!

    Dr. Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete