Monday, September 21, 2009

your choice: Scalzo tomato sauce weekend






















Every labor day weekend my family has our traditional "tomato sauce weekend." It has been going on in my family for years. Being Italian, we tend to eat a lot of pasta and sauce, so for tomato weekend we can/jar enough sauce to last our family(immediate and extended) for the year. We start early in the morning by washing each tomato carefully. After, we squeeze the water out of the tomatoes and cut them up. Next, we put the tomatoes through the blender and tomato machine, which takes out the skin and seeds. The sauce is then boiled twice and stirred. Finally, we jar the sauce. This year we had 180 jars of tomato sauce. It takes a full day to complete, but we have a great time doing it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!

    That is an awesome tradition - and I love homemade tomato sauce and pasta - even though I don't usually take the time to make my own sauce!

    There is a place in Hatfield that sells tomatoes just for sauce that they grow on their farm - I saw it in the Gazette this morning!

    Dr. Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete