Wednesday, October 7, 2009

minimizing off-task behavior

Chapter 4 in Graham talks about minimizing off-task behavior. The three strategies that Graham described were as followed: back-to-the-wall, proximity control, and with-it-ness. Back-to-the-wall is describe as when a teacher is standing on the outside of the boundaries of the gymnasium so that they can better see what is going on in the classroom. Proximity control is used by simply walking over to the direction of the off task student or students while you are still teaching, and giving the students a look to let them know they are off task. Lastly, with-it-ness combining both back-to-the-wall and proximity control, this lets the students know that you are watching them at all times. If you ask me I believe that using all three would work best but since I don't have lots of teaching experience yet, I am curious to know what the teachers in our class believe works best, or maybe they have a different method. If so maybe you could share this helpful information to me.

1 comment:

  1. Tom,

    In order to minimize off task behavior - first, I make sure that I have planned a great lesson - one with plenty of extensions and following my curriculum - that is meaningful to the students...my planning time is really the most important thing - I want to be well-prepared!

    Dr. Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete