Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Teaching Experince

Last week I had the opportunity to observe undergraduate students teach adapted physical education classes. I saw many positive teaching aspects and also some negative ones as well. One positive teaching aspect that I saw was that some student teachers offered rewards for good behavior. When teaching students with disabilities one aspect that I really believe in is rewarding good behavior. A number of different student teachers that I observed offered stickers when a child completed a skill. Other rewards that I liked is that the students teachers let the child choose what activity they wanted to do for the remainder of class. One negative aspect that I observed was the lack of enthusiasm shown by some students. All physical educators must be enthused when teaching, this not only helps to motivate your students but it also helps them stay on task and increases their overall enjoyment. Every PE teacher must give it their all when teaching in efforts to have a positive effect on all students.

1 comment:

  1. Tom,

    I agree with you about enthusiasm and how important it is for all of us to have....Mr. O'Donnell and I have had conversations about this in the past....

    The question I think that one needs to ask is why does a student lack enthusiasm..often, I think it is being uncomfortable in a situation because of lack of knowledge about a certain situation....or, if they really don't want to teach, then they can choose another professional path...

    Dr. Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete